Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thanksgiving Day


What’s Thanksgiving for, if not for giving thanks?
This year I had the rare opportunity to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with my extended family.  Most years we spend Thanksgiving with just us (me, Steve, and the kids), but this year I was able to spend it with my mother, two sisters (Diane and Sonja) and their families, as well as my own family.



We met for the day at my mother’s church in the fellowship hall.  Since there were so many of us, my mom decided to take a space at her church rather than try to cram us all into someone’s house.  It actually worked out quite well!
In all, we had ten children and seven adults.  The cousins all sat together and acted silly, and the adults all sat together and pretended not to notice.

And what a spread we had!  There was enough food to feed everyone ten times over!  We had two turkeys, one ham, and all sorts of side dishes and pies!

I think we were at the church for a total of eight or nine hours before we called it quits. 
Oh, and for those of you who are wondering, I am one of four sisters.  I have two sisters who are older than me by 10 and 12 years (Sonja and Vicki, respectively), and one who is younger than me by 4 years (Diane).  My oldest sister Vicki wasn’t able to be with us this year (she already had plans to be at Disney World with her family), so Sonja and Diane and their families (plus my mom!) were at Thanksgiving with us this year.  Sonja has one daughter (and one adult step-daughter who wasn’t able to be with us), and Diane has one son and two daughters.  I can’t believe how much they have all grown since I saw them last time!
As crazy and sometimes-annoying as my family can be, I wouldn’t trade them for the world.  For them I’m thankful.